The One-Armed Wonder
After a 2nd set of X-Rays I was told that my arm isn’t broken & I should stop using the sling. They also told me that my coccyx (AKA tailbone) “slipped a few millimeters.” So I’m still uncomfortable as hell and don’t have a time frame for when it should start to get better.
This is why I couldn’t go out for roller derby.
But here’s what I’ve discovered so far:
- I can still type faster with just one hand than the shipping guy whose desk is across from mine types with 2 hands.
- Changing the angle of my hand on the gear shift makes it less painful to drive.
- Reverse and 1st gear with the left hand is the way to go.
- The pepper grinder is the strangest nemesis ever.
- My Mr. eats really big bites of steak. His “small pieces” had to be cut in half for me.
- My natural waves really come out when I sleep on wet hair. Since I can’t use my curling iron I just have to go with it.
- It takes all 5 pillows to support my weight in order to get bent over on the bed properly.
- My tailbone is not fond of the previous revelation but the rest of me doesn’t care in those moments.
- The orthopedic specialist I’ve been referred to for treatment gets a long weekend for Good Friday/Easter.
In other words, I’m stuck with a dislocated ass bone and barely functioning right arm through the weekend plus how ever long it takes to get seen. Even then the arm thing may be one of those “suck it up, Buttercup!” It takes time to heal issues.
I’m grumpy and uncomfortable… And will be home alone most of the weekend while My Mr. is working the Con in DC. He’s picking me up for a burlesque show tonight and I’m excited to get out without the sling. The attention and questions were almost as bad as the pain… Especially when I was out with My Kiddo in her wrist brace.
"Did you get in a fight?"
"Same car crash?"
"You know I once… (insert injury story of our waitress)"
Here’s to hoping I can find a better attitude despite the pain because otherwise it’s going to be a long road to recovery!
We all fall down…
Seriously. In the last week we ALL fell down. My Kiddo on Sun, me on Tue & my mother on Thursday. (She officially fractured her left radius… She is also left handed like me.) Today my brother posted this:
”I also fell this week going to the laundry room to get a towel, right when I hit the hall floor slipped and fell full on feet in the air flat on my back and elbow. I don’t think we’re falling something is pushing us down.”
His daughter is the only one who has not fallen this week (that I know of.) Bear in mind we all live in separate time zones and haven’t seen each other in years. All I can say is “WHAT THE FUCK?”